Jennie's Ham & Cheesy Potatoes Casserole
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- white potatoes, depending on size
- 8 oz
- cheddar cheese (or any variety)
- 2-3 c
- ham, cubed
- 1 medium
- onion, diced
- butter for sautéing
- 3 Tbsp
- 2 Tbsp
- 1½ c
- salt & pepper, to taste
- ½ - 1 c
- additional milk
1Peel and slice the potatoes, then set aside.
2Shred the cheese & cube the ham.
3Sauté the onion in a little butter, then set aside.
4Make a roux in a medium saucepan over medium heat. (Or just use the sauté pan.) Melt the 3 Tablespoons of butter, then sprinkle in the flour. Whisk in the milk, stirring constantly, until the white sauce starts to thicken. Salt & pepper, to taste. Remove from heat and set aside.
1. Butter a 3 qt. (or up to a 13 x 9") baking dish.
2. Spread ⅓ of the white sauce over the bottom of the dish.
3. Layer ½ of the potatoes, ½ of the onions, ½ of the ham, and ½ of the cheese.
4. Spoon over ½ of the remaining white sauce.
5. Repeat layers of the rest of the potatoes, onion, white sauce, and finish with ham and cheese on top.
6. Drizzle additional milk over the top of the prepared casserole. If the white sauce was barely thickened, just add ½ cup of milk. If the white sauce got more thickened while making it, add a little more milk, but no more than 1 cup or the casserole will be soupy. But if you like it that way... =^..^=
6Bake uncovered at 350˚ F. for about 45 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked through and the cheese is bubbling. Serve immediately and stand back to avoid the stampede.