Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 tlbsp ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp ground tumeric
- 4 fresh curry leaves
- 1 pinch asafoetida powder (optional)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- salt to taste
1Bring rice and water to a boil in a saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the rice is tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
2. Heat the ghee in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the broken chile pepper, and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the black mustard seeds, and cook until they begin to pop, about 30 seconds more. Remove from the heat, and stir in the turmeric, curry leaves, and asafoetida powder.
3. Whisk the milk, yogurt, and spice ghee together in a large bowl until smooth. Fold in the rice until well mixed. Season to taste with salt, then allow to cool to room temperature before serving.