STICKY RICE LAOTIAN STYLE (SALLYE)
Almost foolproof and very tasty.
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1 c
- white extra long grain rice
- 3 c
- water (separated)
- 1 can(s)
- (12-14 oz) coconut milk
- 1/2 c
- granulated sugar
11. Rinse and soak the rice beforehand as follows.
2. Pour the uncooked rice into a large bowl, and add several cups (no need to measure) of cold water.
3. Shake and stir the rice around with your hands; the water will turn white.
4. Drain the water from the rice, and repeat this step until the water stops turning completely white. Drain last water from bowl.
5. Finally, add clean water (approx 2 cups) to the bowl to cover the rice and let it soak for at least 6 hours (overnight is best).
26. Once rice has soaked overnight, if you have a rice cooker, use it to prepare the rice.
7. If not, add the rice (do not drain the bowl) and 1 cup of water to a medium heavy pot. Bring the water to a boil, then cover the pot and turn the heat down to low simmer. Let the rice cook undisturbed for 20 minutes, then check for doneness.Cook longer if needed. When the rice is ready, set it aside to cool.
38. In a large pot, combine the coconut milk (make sure to shake the can well before opening) and sugar. Mix over medium-high heat until the sugar is dissolved and the sauce is combined and creamy.
9. Add the cooled rice into the pot with the coconut milk mixture. Stir to combine, and continue to cook over medium-high heat until the mixture is the consistency of thick porridge. Remove from heat.
4When ready to serve, fluff up with fork or chopsticks. Rice will be sticky.