STICKY RICE LAOTIAN STYLE (SALLYE)
Almost foolproof and very tasty.
- 1 c
- white extra long grain rice
- 3 c
- water (separated)
- 1 can(s)
- (12-14 oz) coconut milk
- 1/2 c
- granulated sugar
2. Pour the uncooked rice into a large bowl, and add several cups (no need to measure) of cold water.
3. Shake and stir the rice around with your hands; the water will turn white.
4. Drain the water from the rice, and repeat this step until the water stops turning completely white. Drain last water from bowl.
5. Finally, add clean water (approx 2 cups) to the bowl to cover the rice and let it soak for at least 6 hours (overnight is best).
7. If not, add the rice (do not drain the bowl) and 1 cup of water to a medium heavy pot. Bring the water to a boil, then cover the pot and turn the heat down to low simmer. Let the rice cook undisturbed for 20 minutes, then check for doneness.Cook longer if needed. When the rice is ready, set it aside to cool.
9. Add the cooled rice into the pot with the coconut milk mixture. Stir to combine, and continue to cook over medium-high heat until the mixture is the consistency of thick porridge. Remove from heat.