"Something Different" Potato Salad
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 4 small
- russett potatoes, cut into small chunks (skin on or off-you choose)
- strips meaty bacon, diced small and fried fairly crisp
- heaping tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/4 c
- salad dressing (like miracle whip)
- 1/3 to 1/2 c
- sour cream (can use fat free or low fat)
- 3 Tbsp
- dill pickle relish or chopped dill pickles (may use sweet pickles if desired...i like dill best)
- heaping teaspoon prepared mustard - can use dijon if preferred
- hard boiled eggs, peeled and chopped (optional)
- 3 Tbsp
- sliced black olives (optional)
- 3 tsp
- diced pimientos with a little of the juice for flavor (optional)
1Chop potatoes into small chunks and boil until tender and just done...drain water off and allow to cool off then set in the refrigerator. You can mash the potatoes if you like a mashed potato salad... If you do this, I recommend you leave them a little chunky.
2Dice bacon and onion into very small pieces and fry together until bacon is fairly crisp and onions start to brown...saving just a little of the bacon fat. In a small bowl, mix together the salad dressing, sour cream, mustard, pickles, bacon & onion, celery. Also add pimientos, hard boiled egg and sliced black olives if you decide to use them. Stir well to blend. (Here, I am going to share a little known secret that gives plain potato salad an added jolt of flavor! I didn't include it in the ingredients, but to the dressing before adding to the potatoes, add a teaspoonful of powdered chicken bullion and stir it in very well to incorporate the flavors. Trust me... This adds more to the flavor than you might think! It is good with or without it..)
3Mix together the dressing mixture with the potatoes and blend all together well. Add salt & pepper to taste. At this point, if you like a little more dressing, you may add a little extra salad dressing and/or sour cream. Garnish the top with a hard boiled egg slice and a few sliced black olives with a sprinkle of paprika. Chill before serving.
4As I mentioned in my notes, this is a fairly small amount because sometimes we don't feel like eating potato salad for days on end. Or this could be the perfect amount to make for a couple. This 'different' potato salad is a refreshing change from the ordinary. Try serving this to accompany grilled hot dogs!
Bon Apetit' Y'all!!