Rachael Ray's Sweet Onion Potatoes Au Gratin
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 2 Tbsp
- butter, cold
- 1 large
- sweet onion, such as vidalia, thinly sliced
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 tsp
- ground thyme or dried if ground isn't available
- bay leaf, fresh or dried
- 2 lb
- baby yukon gold potatoes or fingerling potatoes
- 1/2 to 2/3 c
- 1/2 c
- grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1/2 lb
- grated gruyere or other swiss cheese
1Heat butter in a skillet over medium heat.
2Add onions. Season with salt, pepper, thyme and bay leaf. Cook until very soft, sweet and lightly caramelized, about 20 minutes.
3Remove bay leaf.
4While onions cook, place potatoes in pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, salt the water, and cook until tender, 12-15 minutes. Drain and return potatoes to pot.
5Mash the potatoes with cream, season with salt and pepper, and mix in the Parmigiano cheese.
6Preheat broiler. Arrange the potatoes in individual gratin dishes or a shallow casserole dish. Top with onions and Gruyere cheese.
7Brown gratin under hot broiler until bubbly, about two minutes.