Mushroom and Blue Cheese Potatoes Au Gratin
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 6 medium potatoes, 2 lbs, peeled if desired and sliced thinly, 6 cups (slice in a food processor)
- 3 cups sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped, ½ cup
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp. olive oil or cooking oil
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 3 cups milk
- 4 tsp. snipped fresh sage
- 1 cup crumbled blue cheese, 4 oz
Prepare as directed, except omit mushrooms and sage and substitute shredded Parmesan cheese for blue cheese.
Apple Smoked Cheddar Gratin:
Prepare as directed, except omit mushrooms. Cut 2 large cored Granny Smith apples into thin wedges. Reduce amount of sage in sauce to 2 teaspoons. Put half the apples over each layer of potatoes. Substitute smoked cheddar or Gouda for blue cheese.
To make ahead: Assemble gratin as directed but do not preheat oven. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for up to 24 hours. Bake in a 350 oven for 50 minutes. Uncover and top with remaining cheese. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes more or til potatoes are tender.