The recipe for Delmonico Potatoes, perhaps the best, rarest and most desirable way to prepare potatoes, originated around 1830 at Delmonico's Restaurant in New York City.
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 6 quart pot for boiling potatoes
- large frying pan
- buttered baking dish
- four medium white potatoes
- 3/4 cup of whole milk
- 1/4 cup of heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons of freshly grated parmesan cheese
Bring 8 cups of water to a boil and then add the potatoes. Let boil for 10 minutes so that the potatoes are not cooked through.
Immediately submerse the hot potatoes into cold water, and let them cool for at least 30 minutes.
Grate the potatoes into long strips.
Remove from the stove and fold in 1 tablespoon of the cheese.
On top, sprinkle the remaining 1 tablespoon of cheese.
Place the uncovered baking dish into the upper-third of the oven, and bake for 6 minutes or until lightly browned.