Creamy Black Forest Potato Casserole~Robynne
Adapted from a Taste of Home recipe.
Disclaimer: I have always used recipes as a guide and use my instincts and experience to alter or omit ingredients as I cook. Therefore, it has always been a challenge when sharing recipes with others. I doubt I make dishes the same way twice. So, I advise you to use my recipes the same way. Trust your experience and adjust to your personal taste~Robynne
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1 medium
- onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp
- 2 Tbsp
- all purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp
- dijon mustard or 1 1/2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
- 1 3/4 c
- 4 oz
- cream cheese, cut up
- 2 c
- gruyere cheese, shredded (i have substituted swiss cheese)
- 1 Tbsp
- snipped fresh chives or sliced green onions
- 1 1/2 lb
- yukon gold potatoes or round red potatoes, cut into thin wedges
- 10 oz
- sliced black forest ham or country ham, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 c
- garlic flavored bagel chips, coarsely crushed
- *i whisk in approx. 1/8 teaspoon garlic salt, pinch each of ground thyme and white pepper to sauce
1Preheat oven to 350 F. degrees. Grease a 2-quart rectangular baking dish; set aside.
2For sauce, in a medium saucepan, cook onion in hot butter over medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in flour and mustard. Gradually stir in milk. Cook and stir until mixture is slightly thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low. Whisk in cream cheese until smooth (this is where i add in additional seasoning). Stir in half of the Gruyere cheese until melted. Stir in chives.
3In a large bowl, combine potatoes, ham, and sauce. Transfer mixture to the prepared baking dish.
4Bake, covered, about 1 hour or until potatoes are tender. Stir gently. Sprinkle with crushed bagel chips and the remaining Gruyere cheese. Bake uncovered for 10 to 15 minutes more or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.