Au Gratin Potatoes, Very Easy
You can put literally any combination of cheeses, I have seen professional chefs put 4 and 5 different cheeses in their sauce. I usualy just use cheddar, but everyone has their own favorites.
I like the addition of mustard if it is a cheese sauce, for just a white sauce you could leave it out.
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 3 large
- potatoes, russets work well here
- 1 medium
- 2 Tbsp
- butter, please don't subsitute
- 2 Tbsp
- all purpose flour
- 2 c
- whole milk (yes you can use reduced calorie, but it is not as good)
- 1/2 tsp
- each salt and pepper , or to taste
- 1 tsp
- dry mustard ( this is optional, like this in the cheese version)
- 8 oz
- grated cheese, i like sharp cheddar, but any combo you like is just fine
- 1/4 tsp
- paprika, for garnish
2Put the potatoes and onions in a sauce pan, cover with cold water, and cook until fork tender. You don't want the potatoes mushy, after all you are going to bake them too.
3Pour potatoes and onions into a drainer.
4Meanwhile while the potatoes and onions cook make your sauce.
6Stir in the milk a little at a time. stirring to make smooth. Continue to cook until the sauce starts to bubble and thicken. Watch it keep stirring, and don't walk away.
Congradulations beginner!!!! You have just made a white sauce, one of the mother sauces. You will never know how thick your sauce is until it comes to a boil.