Super Spinach and Onion Kugel
Featured Pinch Tips Video
I snuck a bite of the spinach mix before I combined it with the noodles, and it was really tasty. I knew I'd like this dish once cooked. I did cover this with tinfoil about halfway through baking to make sure the noodles didn't get too hard. This was a big hit in the Test Kitchen!
- 16 ounce package wide egg noodles (note: if you want to keep this kosher, use the kosher noodles they put out in the store surrounding the jewish holidays)
- 4 box
- frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 c
- unsalted butter, melted
- 16 ounce container sour cream (i use the light version)
- envelopes dry onion soup mix (lipton or the store brand)
- 1 dash(es)
- black pepper
- 1 tsp
- vanilla extract
- 1 dash(es)
- garlic powder (not garlic salt... there's enough salt flavor from the soup mix)
1Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2Cook and drain the egg noodles according to package directions.
Thaw and drain the spinach well - take the time to really drain out as much water as possible.
3Beat the eggs then add in the melted butter (allow to cool a bit), sour cream, onion soup mix, pepper, garlic powder and vanilla extract. Beat well.
4Fold in the spinach and mix well with a spoon.
5Pour into prepared baking dish and bake for an hour (or until done depending on the finickiness of your oven. It should be golden brown. Watch it toward the end, and if it starts to brown too quickly, cover with foil.