Cretan Dakos/Kritikos Dakos
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- cretan barley rusks, about 4" in diameter (read recipe intro)
- 2-3 medium
- good quality fresh tomatoes, *grated*
- 4 oz
- feta cheese, crumbled or you can use a myzithra in combination
- 1/3 c
- good quality extra virgin olive oil
- dried greek oregano
- black olives for decoration: kalamata or similar mediterranean olive
1Grate the tomatoes and drain all the liquids.
2Pass the rusk under running water (very quickly) and place on a plate. (Skip this step if you using *bread). Cretan rusks are very hard but you do not want to soften them too much, you do not want a soggy dakos. It should still be crunchy but easily breakable.
*If you are using whole grain bread/barley bread, slice thickly, drizzle lightly with olive oil and toast until very crispy or bake in an oven at about 350º for 10-15 minutes.
3Add about 1 tablespoon of olive oil and let it absorb. (Please note that in Greece they add much more olive oil, but this amount works fine).
4Spoon the tomato on top, covering the whole rusk and then add the crumbled cheese.
Drizzle with another teaspoon of olive oil and sprinkle with oregano. Top with a Kalamata olive.