Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1/2 c
- butter, softened (*not* margarine)
- dried dates, pitted (medjool, deglet, barhi, your choice)
- 1-2 Tbsp
- date molasses also known as dibs tamar
- spice of your choice, ground (cardamom, freshly grated nutmeg, cinnamon, clove)
- 1-2 tsp
- freshly grated orange zest (for version #2)
1Use a sharp knife and wet it under the faucet. Cut up the dates into very small pieces. If the dates start to stick-wet the knife again.
2Use a stand up mixer or electric mixture with the egg whip attachment and whip the butter, dates and date molasses for about 1 minute until light and fluffy. Or, by hand stir the dates and 1 tablespoon date molasses into the softened butter using a fork. (Do note that if you mix the butter mixture together by hand the butter won't be as fluffy.) Taste and add more date molasses, if desired.
3Add a small pinch of spice of your choice or a combination of the spices listed. We tried cinnamon and ground cardamom. For Version #2 I stirred in 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest.
4Scoop the butter into an airtight container and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
5Serve with bread, muffins, crackers, apple slices, etc.