My Aunt Caties Sauce
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- meatballs, sausage, braciole(rolled meat) and lamb shank
- small onion chopped very fine
- cloves of garlic-depending on your taste, we use 5-6
- 3 cans whole tomatoes
- 1 can tomato paste-(estratto) it was homemade for us, but canned is fine
- tsp. sugar..salt and pepper to taste
- handful of freah basil-left whole
- 1 can of water-rinse the tomato cans into 1 can
- patience and lots of it...lol
1fry your meatballs, then sausage, then braciole, lamb shank, in a big pot, with about 1/4 cup olive oil, it's all cooked in 1 pot.
2When meatballs are done put in a big dish, as with the sausage and rest of the meat. Add your chopped onion to the pot with all that cook stuff the meat left..lol
3Saute till onion is transparent, and add the paste, mix well and allow the paste to get really, really dark, not burnt. Stir often.
4In the meantime, puree your tomatoes either by hand if you like it chunky or a processer/blender. Add to the paste and mix well.
5Cook on a low setting or flame, soon foam will appear, scrape that out with a spoon. Add sugar, water, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook for 2 hours covered, stirring occasionally.
6Some foam still may appear, just scrape it out.
7Add the lamb and sausage to the sauce and cover, cook another hour, stirring occasionally
8Add meatballs and braciole, cover and cook about another hour. Stirring occasionally.
9With a slotted spoon remove all the meat and place in a bowl. Add the basil, cover and cook about 1/2 hour. Turn off heat and allow to sit for about another 1/2 hour.
10That should do it...I think I got it all..lol
You don't have to use lamb or braciole. You can use just the sausage and meatballs. It comes out just as good.