Pam's Carmelized Ginger Apple Butter
ice cream to pancakes.
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 4 c
- apple pulp (about 12 to 15 apples)
- juice of one lemon (to taste)
- 1 tsp
- ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp
- ground cloves
- 1 to 2 Tbsp
- ginger juice (instructions below)
- 1 c
- simply grate fresh ginger on a fine grater, place the grated ginger pulp into a double or triple layer of cheesecloth and squeeze out the juice. if your ginger is nice and fresh, it will give you lots of juice.
- (you can also use this juice to add to marinades)
TO MAKE GINGER JUICE,
MOST OF THE COOKING TIME FOR THIS RECIPE IS NOT ACTIVE COOKING, JUST REDUCING THE MIXTURE.
6It may "Pop" bubbles to the surface which can burn you.) Cover and cook on low heat until the sugar has completely re-disolved into the apple. Stir occasionally. Turn to Medium low and cook until reduced and thickened to your preference. To test the thickness, just take a small spoonful out and let it cool. It should mound up on the spoon somewhat. This will give you an idea of the texture of the finished apple butter.