- cook down apple sauce. If not cooked down visibly within 8 hrs turn heat to med. until visibly cooked down by half.
- while cooking cover crock pot/slow cooker loosely ( I use a wooden spoon or off set my lid to vent off moisture)
- you need to keep covered to prevent splatter. It will splatter while cooking. instead of a lid you could use a large pot splatter screen but I don't have one..I use my lid.
- cook for a total of 6-18 hrs
- Once reduced by half add remaining apple sauce and sugar cook on high for at least 2 hrs until thickened.
- Pack into clean hot jars leaving 1/4 inch headroom
- seat lid and tighten band onto jar
- process in boiling water for 10 min for quart jars for 10 min
- place upside down on dry towel to cool
- once cool turn right side up and store
- refrigerate apple butter once open
Hints & Tips:
for smoother consistency you can blend with a hand blender.
For those who like anise you can use 1/4 t. ground star anise or as much as you want to taste.
Some use red hot cinnamon candies in the apple butter while cooking. My Grandmother did.