Grilled southwestern potato salad
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- two large red onions, cut into 1/2 inch disks and threaded onto metal skewers
- four red bell peppers, halved, cored, and seeded
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups cooked fresh corn kernels from two ears of corn
- 1/2 pound bacon, 8 to 9 slices, cooked until crisp, drained, and crumbled
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 pounds red potatoes, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 tablespoon cider vinegar, more as needed
1Heat a gas grill to medium or prepare a charcoal fire with medium and low heat areas. Put the onions and bell peppers onto rimmed baking sheet and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of the oil, 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon black pepper. Turn and rub the vegetables to coat all over with the oil and seasonings.
2Grill vegetables, covered, until they have good grill marks about five minutes. Flip, cover, and continue to grill until the peppers are softened and nicely browned, about another five minutes. As they finish cooking, transfer the peppers to the baking sheet. Reduce the heat of a gas grill to medium low or transfer the onions to the cooler part of the fire and continue cooking until they are just tender and Brown. It's fine if they are charred in places, about another eight minutes.
3Move the grilled vegetables to a cutting board and let cool. Scrape the skins off the peppers if you like. Coarsely chop the peppers and onions and toss in a large serving bowl along with the corn, bacon, cilantro, and chili powder.
4Put the potatoes in a large pot, cover with cold water by a couple of inches, stir in 2 tablespoon salt, and bring to boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the potatoes are just tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Drain and toss with the grilled vegetables, the remaining 1/2 cup +2 tablespoons oil, and the vinegar. Season with salt, black pepper, and more vinegar to taste. Let sit for at least 30 minutes and up to two hours at room temperature before serving.
This potato salad is filled with favorite flavorings of the Southwest such as corn, chilies, red onions, peppers, and some crisp bacon. Serves 10 to 12