Lemony Quinoa Tabbouleh
From Delicious Living and a couple changes here and there. I substituted a Meyer lemon in place of standard Eureka. "Quinoa stands in for traditional bulgur in this gluten-free grain salad. Like the original, it’s packed with parsley, which detoxes the kidneys and prevents water retention. The light, lemony dressing loosens mucus and draws toxins from the liver."
- 1/2 c
- golden quinoa (rinsed well and drained)
- 1 c
- water or unsalted vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 c
- curly parsley, rinsed and dried well in a salad spinner then finely chopped
- scallions (thinly sliced crosswise)
- 1 c
- grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes (halved or quartered depending on size)
- 2 Tbsp
- fresh mint, minced (*fresh* only!)
- juice of 1/2 lemon, about 2 tablespoosn (to taste)
- 1 large
- garlic clove, peeled and finely minced
- 2 Tbsp
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp
- ground sumac
- ground cinnamon
1Combine quinoa and water or broth in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and cook on medium-low for 20 minutes, or until all water is absorbed and quinoa is fluffy. Transfer to a plate to cool completely.
2Combine parsley, scallions, tomatoes, and mint in a medium bowl; stir in cooled quinoa. In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice and garlic. Whisk in olive oil and season to taste with cayenne pepper and sea salt. Pour dressing over quinoa mixture and toss well. Refrigerate for 1–2 hours and serve chilled.