Cucumber Salad Thai-style
From The Associated Press. If you want to "bulk up" the salad to make it more substantial, you can serve the cucumber mixture over greens: spring mix, mixed greens or similar.
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 2 large
- english cucumbers
- jalapeno pepper (i only used 1/3 of a yellow jalapeno)
- 1 medium
- shallot, peeled and sliced thinly
- 1 Tbsp
- soy sauce
- 1/2-1 tsp
- fish sauce (nuoc mam)
- 2 Tbsp
- fresh lime juice (save some of the zest for garnish)
- 1 tsp
- granulated sugar (i used superfine sugar)
- 2 Tbsp
- fresh cilantro or fresh (thai) basil (i used a combination of fresh cilantro, fresh thai basil and a small amount of fresh mint)
- 1/4 c
- salted peanuts, lightly crushed
1Peel the cucumbers, then slice them in half lengthwise. Using a teaspoon, scrape down the center of each half to remove any seeds. Slice the cucumber halves crosswise into thin slices. A mandoline is best, but a knife is fine. Trim the jalapeno, slice in half lengthwise, then remove the seeds before mincing.
2In a large bowl, combine the jalapeno, shallots, soy sauce, fish sauce, lime juice and sugar, then stir to combine. Add the cucumbers and toss to combine. Taste and adjust if necessary.
3Transfer the mixture to a serving bowl or platter, then top with the cilantro/fresh herbs, peanuts and a garnish of lime zest.