Irish Grilled Cheese Sandwich for 1
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1-2 Tbsp
- butter (i used kerrygold irish butter)
- 2 slice
- light rye bread or dark/light pumpernickel swirl bread (see note below)
- 1-2 Tbsp
- irish mustard or dijon (we sampled an irish multigrain mustard with whiskey)
- 2 oz
- aged white cheddar (we love dubliner irish cheese!)
- small pickles, for serving
1Melt the butter in a skillet over medium-low heat.
2Place the slices of bread in the skillet, allowing it to soak up all the butter. Spread the mustard on both slices, then cut the cheese into thin slices and lay it on the bread. Allow the cheese to melt, then bring the two slices together and check both sides to make sure they’re crisp and golden brown and the cheese is melted.
3Transfer the sandwich to a cutting board and slice it in half. Serve it with small pickles while the cheese is hot and gooey.
4Pioneer Woman's note: Variations-Use pumpernickel bread or pumpernickel-rye swirl bread for a nice, deep color.
Add tomato slices or thinly sliced corned beef to the sandwich.