Whole Pit-Roasted Pig
My friends shared with me how it is done.
Their annual Spring Pig Roast are wonderful. They usually serve Butter buns, barbecue sauce, baked apples, corn on the cob and baked sweet potatoes. Yum, Yum!
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- whole young pig, dressed and shaved
- rock-lined pit dug ahead of time
- several rounded rocks from a stream, in 1 to 4 lb. weights. - sun dry them for at least a week.
- bushels or more of dry hardwood
- green corn stalks and leaves
- big tongs for handling hot rocks
- chicken wire or fencing - enough to encircle the pig
- bailing hooks to carry roasted pig
- clean burlap sacks
- canvas large enough to cover the pit