SUPER SAUSAGE SCALLOPINI
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 2 lb
- link italian sausage, mild or hot or a combination of both
- each red, yellow and green bell peppers sliced
- 2 large
- red onions sliced
- 2 pt
- mushrooms sliced-button or crimini
- 2 large
- cans of dom peppino tomato sauce
- good olive oil
- garlic powder
- fresh basil
- 1/4 c
- sugar-to cut the acid in the tomatoes
- italian seasoning
- fresh rolls or crusty bread
- provolone & mozzarella cheese-sliced thin
- drained jarred banana or hot peppers to taste- if desired -add in at pepper stage or top sandwiches
1In a very large stock pot -heat oil
Slice sausage into small discs and brown very well in pan.
Remove from pan.
2Add more oil if needed and cook peppers and onions thoroughly. Add mushrooms when peppers & onions are almost done.
***Jarred banana peppers are a great addition if you like a little heat and tang-add them at this stage****
Add sausage back to pot.
3Add both cans of tomato sauce.
Tear in fresh basil and add about a TBSP of each dry seasoning-adjust according to taste. Use more or less sugar according to taste.
Let simmer for at least two hours-taste halfway through cooking to adjust seasonings if needed.
Add Salt and pepper at the very end.
Enjoy on fresh rolls with lots of cheese!