HOTDOGS IN TOMATO SAUCE
My mother made this for us kids when we were growing up in the 60's...but, from what I understand...more than likely...it was something she ate during the end the forties that probably her own mother made for her five children to help make the food budget last longer and to use up leftovers which were never wasted...Hotdogs were cheap and healthy back then (no nitrates) and the ketchup (tomato sauce is healthy for anyone)...so..enjoy.
- one package of kosher beef hotdogs (pork and chicken optional) and split lengthwise or you can be creative and corkscrew the hotdog (sounds kinky, though)...
- Half c
- one onion diced or some like it cut in rings
- One clove
- garlic diced and minced (optional)
- One c
- one bottle of ketchup
- Two Tbsp
- unsalted butter (salted optional)
- 2 c
- leftover mashed potatoes
- 2 c
- green beans or any other vegetable you like
- water, cold (salted optional)