Hot Italian Sausage / Peppers and Onions
You can use hot Italian sausage or sweet Italian. There will be none left in the pot, wherever you decide to take them. They will have your home smelling marvelous..
I just took two crock pots of these to potluck at church...not a one left..they were using extra buns to dip in the leftover sauce..
I like them because they are easy to prepare. Make these and you will be the hit of any party.
The recipe is for 2 1/2 pnds..add more peppers and onions,and sauce..if making many.
- 2 - 3 lb
- hot italian or sweet italian sausage links ( about 15)
- 1 - 2
- sweet onions, cut into slivers
- each, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, cut into thin slices
- 2 - 3
- jalapeño peppers, sliced ( optional) i use if making the hot sausage
- 2 jar(s)
- spaghetti sauce., i use 2 quart sized jars of my homemade..you just want to make sure sausages are covered well
- 1/2 c
- shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp
- each - salt, pepper, italian seasoning, garlic powder
- 2 - 3 clove
- whole garlic
- oil for browning
These can be done in the oven. I use the crock pot for convenience. They will be fall apart tender.
Spray crock pot with vegetable spray.
Remove from skillet, add about 2 or more tablespoons of oil. Saute the onions and peppers, just till becoming tender. They will finish cooking in the sauce.
Cook on low for 6 - 7 hours, or on high for 4 - 5 hours.
These can be served on sausage rolls.
They are also delicious served over pasta or rice.