Hint: If you notice I add the spices to the meat chunks before I grind… Makes the spices go through the meat faster and more evenly.
Sorry everyone, I really never thought about taking pictures while I'm making sausage and smoking it.
1. Add ice water, all of the spices and mix well to meat chunks.
2. Grind pork on a medium size plate
3. Stuff into small size hog casings (28-32mm), tie into rings and hang to dry at room temperature for 2 hours
4. Preheat smoker to 160-165F
5. Put sausages in the smoker and apply smoke for 3-4 hours
6. Remove sausages once internal temperature has reached 152F. If the internal temperature is not rising too well after 3-4 hours of smoking, raise the temperature to 170-175F.
7. Place into ice bath to cool down. Dry and store in a refrigerator or a freezer. Alternatively, you may let the sausage cool down at room temperature and then refrigerate. This will result in the sausage less plump and slightly wrinkled, but this this is my preferred method. Ice water bath removes smoke residue from surface making the sausage less smoky in flavor and pale in color.