German Pierogies With Kielbasa, Bacon & Apples
My alteration to the original recipe is to use frozen Pierogies. (Don't tell grandma, but they are just as good as home-made and a huge time saver.)
With my version, I can have supper on the table in 30 minutes... great for today's busy, working schedules.
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1 bag(s)
- frozen pierogies (i like mrs. t's, cheddar and potato) i use about 3/4 of a large bag, 16-20 pierogies.
- 2 large
- gala apples, peeled and sliced in thick slices
- 1 pinch
- allspice or cloves, optional
- 1 tsp
- 5 Tbsp
- (approximate) butter and/or bacon grease for frying
- 1 medium
- onion, chopped
- 5 slice
- bacon, pre-cooked or cook your own and use some of the bacon grease for frying onions, cut into 1" pieces
- ring of a good quality, fully-cooked polska kielbasa, coarsley ground if you can find it, cut into 1 1/2" chunks.
- 1 jar(s)
- 16 oz. aunt nellie's sweet and sour red cabbage, to be served on the side. (can be found next to the canned sauerkraut, in a glass jar.)
- salt and pepper to taste