Mie Goreng (Indonesian Fried Noodles)
In Indonesia, Mie Goreng is served all day long. You might see it made with a mix of any or all of the following: fried eggs, shrimp, chicken and vegetables.
This simple mie goreng recipe reflects a traditional version of the dish, don’t worry if you can’t find all of the ingredients; you will still get the essence of the dish even if you swap different veggies.
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 6 ounces dried egg noodles, or 9 ounces fresh egg noodles
- vegetable oil (about 1/4 cup)
- 3 garlic cloves, diced
- 3 candlenuts (substitute macadamia nuts, or omit nuts entirely)
- 1/2 tablespoon whole white pepper
- 3 to 4 ounces chicken breast, cut into cubes
- 3 to 4 ounces shrimp
- 4 tablespoons indonesian sweet soy sauce
- 5 ounces chicken stock
- 3/4 cup cut cabbage (about 2 ounces)
- 1 cup bean sprouts (about 3 ounces)
- 3 to 4 stalks of green onion, chopped
- 1 large stalk chinese celery, chopped (substitute celery or 3/4 cup fresh spinach)
- shrimp chips
- a fried egg
- tomato slices
- sambal or hot sauce
1In a food processor or using a mortar and pestle, grind the garlic, nuts and pepper until it becomes a thick, natural peanut butter type textured, paste.
2Heat cooking oil in a wok. Add the spice and garlic paste; once it is fragrant (very quickly – less than a minute), add the chicken.
Cook over medium heat until it is opaque; add the shrimp, and cook until done.
3In a steady stream, pour the chicken stock into the wok. Add the cabbage and any vegetables that require a longer cooking time.
Reduce the heat to medium-low, and let it boil for about 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
4Increase the heat back to medium-high, and add the noodles. Add the sweet soy sauce, and stir everything together.
Let the noodles cook for as long as you’d like: If you prefer them more wet, a shorter cook time, or you can cook them until they’re quite dry.
5Once the noodles have reached your desired level of dryness, add the sprouts and greens.
Cook until the greens have wilted, just a minute or two.
6Garnish with shrimp chips, a fried egg or tomato slices. If you prefer spicy, serve with a side of sambal or hot sauce.