Mac and cheese
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- butter for the baking dish
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup cheddar cheese sauce, recipe follows
- 10 slices bacon
- 2 cups freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh sage
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
Bring water to a boil in a large pan over high heat. Add the macaroni and salt, reduce to medium heat, and stir to prevent sticking. Cook for seven minutes or until al dente. Drain and toss with the oil.
Heat the cheese sauce in a pan over medium heat. In a skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp. Line a metal tray with paper towels. Drain the bacon. Chop the bacon into bits.
2 cups whole milk
1/4 cup unsalted butter, one half stick
1 cup flour
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cayenne
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
heat to melt a large pan over medium heat until you see bubbles forming on top. Meanwhile, melt the butter in another pan and stir in the flour to make a roux. Add the warm milk, whisking constantly, and continue cooking until the mixture thickens, about five minutes. Add the cheese, whisking constantly to mix. Season with the cayenne and salt and pepper to taste. Strain through a sieve to remove any lumps before serving. Makes 3 cups. Note: a roux, using classical French cuisine, is the mixture of flour and fat, usually butter or oil.