Cheese and Pasta in a Pot - Dee Dee's
Diane Hopson Smith
This dish very quickly became a family favorite. It was way to much for us to eat at one time, so I would split it and put one dish (uncooked) in the freezer for another meal.
My friend lost her battle with cancer many years ago. Everytime I make this dish I think of her and remember the happy times we had as friends.
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 2 lb
- lean ground beef, or ground meat of your choice
- olive oil, extra virgin
- 2 medium
- onions, chopped
- 1 clove
- garlic, crushed
- 15-ounce jar of ragu or your favorite spaghetti sauce
- 1 lb
- can stewed tomatoes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 16 oz
- shell marcaroni, uncooked (in photo, i used farfalle and macaroni)
- 1 1/2 pt
- sour cream (i have used a mixture of sour cream and cottage cheese)
- 1/2-pound pkg provolone cheese, shredded
- 1/2- pound pkg mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 3-ounce can sliced mushrooms, optional
1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2Brown meat in a little olive oil in a large skillet; drain off excess fat. NOTE: I also rinse the browned meat and drain to make sure I get most of excess fat removed.
3Return meat to skillet; add onions, garlic, spaghetti sauce, stewed tomatoes and mushrooms, season with salt and pepper; mix well. Simmer 20 minutes until onions are tender.
4Meanwhile, cook shell macaroni according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water.
6Cover casserole; bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes.