Veggie Stew with Cornbread Dumplings
I spent 10 years as a vegetarian in an effort ot get my chorlestoral down.
I made this frequently, and even took the slow cooker camping. Used to mix up the dry ingredients, put in a zip lock bag, and take it camping, so i wouldn't have to bring along extra ingredients.
The recipie came from my daughter in law Kimmie McMillan.
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 3 c
- butternut or acorn squash, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 c
- diced fresh tomatoes, could use canned
- 29 oz
- two 14.5 oz cans italian style stewed tomatoes
- 15 oz
- can drained great nothern beans
- 9 oz
- package frozen italian style green beans
- 4 medium
- cloves garlic, minced
- 1 c
- 2 tsp
- mixed italian herbs, oregano, sweet basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- you can also add diced onion, celery, zuchinni,. and green pepper, i usually do
- 1/3 c
- 1/2 c
- all purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp
- grated parmesean cheese
- paprika to sprinkle over the top for color
- 1 Tbsp
- fresh snipped parsley
- 1 tsp
- baking powder
- 1 large
- egg, beaten
- 2 Tbsp
- cooking oil
- shredded cheddar and sour cream for garnish
1Put a disposable liner in the slow cooker, add all ingredients except for dumplings, give a stir.
2Cook on low for 6 to 8hours
3Turn on high, mix all dumpling ingredients, drop by rounded teaspoons, sprinkle with paprika. Keep covered for 20 minutes, do not open cover.
4When dumplings are cooked through, serve on top of stew with a dollop of sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese