Irene's Portuguese Favas
Lou Ann Marques
When I was a child, Christmas Eve was a special time. Everyone would gather up their instruments going door to door singing songs in Portuguese. They would be invited in to have some delicious Portuguese food and home made wine.
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 2 lb
- dried fava beans- soaked overnight
- 1 medium
- onion, chopped
- 2-3 Tbsp
- hot crushed red pepper (star's brand),or to taste
- 1/4 c
- vinegar (or less)
- 3 clove
- cloves garlic, minced.
- dash of cinnamon
- salt and pepper to taste.
- parsley flakes (as much as you like)
- 15 oz can tomato sauce or one 6 oz can tomato paste.
Bring to boil, thn reduce and simmer until beans are cooked, but not mushy.
You may need to add more water to prevent it from becoming too thick. Should have a nice sauce.
Note: You can use two cans of canned fava beans for a quicker method.