Chicken Enchiladas (Healthier option included)
NOTE: Prep time does not include the time it takes to cook the chicken and broth.
I've included a Reduced Carb, Fat, and Sodium option below. Mix or match ingredients depending on your needs. I promise you will NOT miss any of the flavor.
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- fresh corn tortillas
- 3 c
- cooked chicken, cubed or shredded
- 4 oz
- cream cheese
- 2 Tbsp
- mexican creama (sour cream)
- 1 c
- chopped green chiles, drained
- 2 c
- asadero cheese, or any white melting cheese
- 2 c
- fresh chicken stock-see link below
- 1 c
- tomatillo salsa
- 1/2 c
- milk & 3 tbsp cornstarch
- asadero cheese/red onion
- pico de gallo
- **boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- **low carb reg. or whole wheat flour tortillas
- **home made low sodium chicken stock
- **fresh roasted green chiles
- **fresh home made tomatillos salsa
- **1/3 less fat cream cheese
- **low fat or fat free sour cream
- **2% cheddar cheese
- **low fat mozzarella, opt
- **fat free milk and cornstarch as thickener
REDUCED CARB, FAT, AND SODIUM VERSION
Chop or shred chicken prior to making enchiladas.
**For roasted green chiles, I buy Anaheim peppers and place them on my baking sheet and roast under a low broiler along with the produce I use for home made tomatillos salsa. Once roasted and cooled, remove skin and dice, place in strainer and remove any liquid.
**You can use both mozzarella and 2% cheddar cheese or one or the other.
**For low fat, low sodium chicken and broth, place boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a crock pot, I like to add some carrot, onion and any type of hot peppers, and fresh garlic. Also I add poultry season. Any chicken parts can be used, and I always cool my broth and refrigerate it overnight and then you can skim off any fat as it will rise to the top. Using the bs breast make for lean chicken in the enchilada.
**I use fat free can milk and minimal cornstarch as a thickener.
**Making your own salsa controls the sodium.
Below are the links to the salsa and a step by step recipe to making delicious chicken stock.