Crockpot Persian Lamb
I liked it quite a bit, though my favorite meals tend to have more spice.
Easy enough to do for a regular family meal, not just super special occasions.
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- ~2 lb
- lamb (shanks are originally suggested)
- 2 large
- onions, quartered
- red potatoes (or about same volume other type of potato), quartered
- roma tomatoes, cut in large chunks
- 1 Tbsp
- tomato paste
- whole limu omani (dried persian limes), pierced (may be substituted with lime or lemon juice if needed...i have also substituted sour grape or pomegranate paste...something to give it tartness)
- 1 tsp
- turmeric powder
- 1 tsp
- (heaping tsp.) cinnamon
- salt & pepper, to taste (try 2 1/2 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. pepper)
- 2 1/2 c
- 1 can(s)
- chick peas
- plain yogurt with dried mint mixed in
- pomegranate syrup to drizzle on top (optional, but very good)
- good tasting flat bread
1Place all ingredients in crockpot, including the liquid from the chick peas, but not the chick peas.
Cook on high until everything is very tender.
Add the chick peas.
2Drain, but reserve the broth. (Or use a slotted spoon to remove almost everything from the broth.) Remove any bones.
Mash the ingredients without the broth in a bowl.
3To serve, I drizzle the mash with pomegranate syrup. To eat, use the flat bread to scoop mash and yogurt sauce together..
You may use the broth to serve as a soup alongside, or save for making something later.