Chicken & Tortilla Casserole
- 1 whole chicken, cooked/meat shredded
- 1 tbs olive oil (or butter) not both
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped
- 1 can (4.5 oz) diced green chiles
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tsp celery salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded jack cheese
- 10 corn tortillas, cut into strips
- 1 to 2 cups chicken broth
1Heat oven to 350 degrees.
In a small skillet, saute your onion and chiles for a few minutes; just until onion softens a bit. Add garlic and heat another minute or two. Remove from heat and set aside.
In a large bowl, mix soup with onion/chile mixture. Stir well. Add celery salt and pepper. Give it a good stir. Add 1 cup of each cheese (reserving 1/2 cup of each for topping), and stir to combine.
Add chicken and stir well. Mixture will be very thick. Here is where I add the chicken broth, 1/2 cup at a time, until mixture is moist.
Cut tortillas into strips. You will have some with rounded edges. No worries, it all works out just fine!
Layer the bottom of a 9x13 pan with enough tortilla pieces to cover it.
Next, spoon half the chicken mixture over tortilla strips. Layer one more time with tortillas and other half of chicken mixture. Sprinkle with reserved cheese.
Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes or until nice and bubbly.
Garnish with your favorite taco toppings.