Dijon-Tomato & Sweet Onion Pie
- 9" pie shell (bottom shell only)
- 1 medium
- vidalia onion (or any similar sweet onion such as walla walla, for ex.)
- heirloom tomatoes
- 1 c
- cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 c
- gruyere cheese, grated
- 1/2-2/3 c
- mayonnaise (2/3 cup in original recipe)
- 1 Tbsp
- dijon mustard
- 1 tsp
- stoneground mustard
- cracked black pepper, to taste
- fresh basil leaves (fresh only!)
- sweet paprika
Note: I use a cast iron skillet to prepare the pie. Bake the pie shell until lightly golden, about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool. Leave the oven on.
Bake until browned and bubbly, 40 to 45 minutes.
Remove the pie from the oven and let rest for 10-15 minutes. Cut into slices, then top each serving with some of the fresh basil.
We served the pie with a simple side of steamed vegetables: green beans, carrots and romanesco.