Nonna's Original Baked Ravioli Parmegiana
Many people do this as a simple baked ravioli casserole- but this is TRULY AUTHENTIC AND ORIGINAL. There is NO other recipe like this out there.
NOTE: YOU MUST USE MY "Sunday Gravy " recipe sauce for this!
Please be sure to follow my page and let me know after you've made my recipes what everyone thinks! Thanx and God Bless You!
- 3-4 bag(s)
- 1lb.(ea.bag) of good quality cheese raviolis. i often use "italian village" brand. fresh also works! (even better if you buy it from the ravioli house" on arthur ave., bronx, ny!
- 4 c
- joisygirls best authentic "sunday gravy";plus extra for serving
- bits and pcs of saugages,meatballs or pulled pork meat from my "sunday gravy" sauce
- 2 pkg
- 16oz. part skim mozzarella,polly-o,sorrento i usually use (whole mozzarella would be amazing, but im trying to keep my husband alive here!
- 2 c
- best quality pecorino romano (locatelli) grated cheese. any canned "fake"cheese will alter the authentic flavor goal of this recipe! (buy it and have it shipped if you have to!)
- olive oil
THIS SHOULD END UP LOOKING LIKE A LASAGNE CASSEROLE IF DONE CORRECTLY
Lay out each ravioli side by side in a grid formation. Cover with a ladle or 2 of gravy, top with 1-2 handfuls of mozzarella, then(1)heavy spread out sprinkle of grated cheese. Next, lay out (ON TOP) the 2nd layer of ravioli, followed by the sauce,mozz,and grated cheese. (NOTE:I presented Nonna w/a variation to this recipe by adding little broken bits of meatballs and sausages in between the layers and she kissed me & said DELIZIOSO!)Authentic Italian Pork Ragu (recipe coming) goes amazing with this casserole! Finish the layering process, top w/remaining mozzarella and grated cheese.
I have made this many times and frozen it BEFORE the baking process. Just seal it up w/foil and let it thaw out before baking it. You can bake it covered and then uncover it halfway if you think its not thawed out enough. Stick a thermometer inside to check its cooked inside to at least 165degrees.Nobody likes cold in the middle ravioli!