Nonna's Original Baked Ravioli Parmegiana
Many people do this as a simple baked ravioli casserole- but this is TRULY AUTHENTIC AND ORIGINAL. There is NO other recipe like this out there.
NOTE: YOU MUST USE MY "Sunday Gravy " recipe sauce for this!
Please be sure to follow my page and let me know after you've made my recipes what everyone thinks! Thanx and God Bless You!
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 3-4 bag(s)
- 1lb.(ea.bag) of good quality cheese raviolis. i often use "italian village" brand. fresh also works! (even better if you buy it from the ravioli house" on arthur ave., bronx, ny!
- 4 c
- joisygirls best authentic "sunday gravy";plus extra for serving
- bits and pcs of saugages,meatballs or pulled pork meat from my "sunday gravy" sauce
- 2 pkg
- 16oz. part skim mozzarella,polly-o,sorrento i usually use (whole mozzarella would be amazing, but im trying to keep my husband alive here!
- 2 c
- best quality pecorino romano (locatelli) grated cheese. any canned "fake"cheese will alter the authentic flavor goal of this recipe! (buy it and have it shipped if you have to!)
- olive oil
THIS SHOULD END UP LOOKING LIKE A LASAGNE CASSEROLE IF DONE CORRECTLY
Lay out each ravioli side by side in a grid formation. Cover with a ladle or 2 of gravy, top with 1-2 handfuls of mozzarella, then(1)heavy spread out sprinkle of grated cheese. Next, lay out (ON TOP) the 2nd layer of ravioli, followed by the sauce,mozz,and grated cheese. (NOTE:I presented Nonna w/a variation to this recipe by adding little broken bits of meatballs and sausages in between the layers and she kissed me & said DELIZIOSO!)Authentic Italian Pork Ragu (recipe coming) goes amazing with this casserole! Finish the layering process, top w/remaining mozzarella and grated cheese.
I have made this many times and frozen it BEFORE the baking process. Just seal it up w/foil and let it thaw out before baking it. You can bake it covered and then uncover it halfway if you think its not thawed out enough. Stick a thermometer inside to check its cooked inside to at least 165degrees.Nobody likes cold in the middle ravioli!