Italian Sausage and Pasta in a Cream Basil Sauce
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 3 cups farfalle(bow-tie) pasta
- 1 (16 oz) package mild ground italian sausage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups fresh cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
1Prepare the pasta according to package directions, drain and set aside.
2In a large skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add the sausage and crumble it with a spoon as it cooks.
3Sprinkle with red pepper flakes and continue cooking until sausage is no longer pink.
4Add the onion and cook for about 5 minutes until onion softens. Add garlic and stir for about 1 minute.
5Stir in cherry tomtaoes and salt, and cook for about 5 minutes.
6Add half and half and heavy cream and parmesan cheese, simmer on low until mixture thickens(about 5 minutes).
7Stir in the cooked pasta and basil and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes.
8Top with fresh basil and shredded mozzarella.