Layered Cabbage, Potato and Sausage Casserole
- 1 medium
- head cabbage
- 2 small
- red onion, thinly sliced - or could use whatever you have
- 5 - 6 small
- potatoes, thinly sliced - any kind - i used red and russets
- 1 Tbsp
- olive oil
- 1 lb
- well seasoned bulk sausage
- 2 clove
- 1 - 6 oz
- tomato paste and one can of water
- 1/4 tsp
- each - dried basil, thyme, sage, garic salt or to taste
- 8 oz
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- shredded parmesan cheese
- & pepper
- 1 1/2 - 2 c
- heavy cream
In meantime, cut head of cabbage in half, remove core. Discard the first few leaves.
Start removing the leaves as many as possible, until you get to the small ones in the center. Blanche for about 5 minutes in the boiling water. Drain and rinse with cold water, set aside.
Get out a 4 quart casserole and spray with non stick cooking spray.
Cover the bottom of the casserole with dried, blanched cabbage. Salt and pepper this layer.
Add a layer on red onion.
Pour the cream evenly over casserole.