"Arnaki Youvetsi" Lamb Baked Casserole
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 2 lb
- lamb or veal, cut into 6 serving portions
- 1 lb
- barley shaped pasta/orzo or other small cut macaroni
- large onion, diced or grated
- 3 Tbsp
- butter or olive oil
- 1 c
- wine or sherry
- medium sized tomatoes, peeled, halved, seeded & grated
- salt & freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp
- 2 Tbsp
- grated kefalotyri cheece or parmesan cheece
1Preheat oven to (190^C) 315^F. In around deep baking dish or earthware or dutch oven, bake the onion in the butter or olive oil (whichever you like best) stirring occasionally until the onion is transparent. This technique gives the dish a special flavor. Now add the meat, season with salt & pepper and roast for about an hour or until the meat is nearly tender.
2Add the wine (or sherry)tomatoes, season with salt & Pepper and sugar. Return the dish to the oven and when the liquid comes to a boil add 4 cups of hot water and stir in the orzo (or other small cut macaroni) Bake for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3The orzo should be neither overcooked nor too dry.
Serve hot with grated Kefalotyri cheese sprinked on top. If you can't find Kefalotyri cheese Parmesan cheese is a good substitute. ENJOY!