Recipe & photo: britishfood.about.com
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1 Tbsp
- lard or beef drippings
- 1 large
- onion, peeled and roughly diced
- 4 Tbsp
- dark beer or stout (optional)
- 4 oz
- diced cold roast beef or lamb
- 1 1/2 lb
- potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
- 10 oz
- beef or lamb stock or left over gravy
- salt and pepper to taste
- any other leftover vegetable such as carrots, parsnips, turnips, etc. (optional)
1In a large skillet, over medium heat, melt the lard or drippings. Add onions and cook until soft but not browned (about 5-8 minutes). If using, add the beer or stout,, turn the heat up and allow to boil for 2 minutes to burn the alcohol off. Add the meat and stir well.
2Add the potatoes in layers, seasoning each layer with salt and pepper as you go.
3Pour the stock or gravy over all. Transfer to a large casserole dish and cover. Place in a preheated 375-degree oven for 45-50 minutes. Check often to make sure there is plenty of stock. If needed, add more to keep from drying out.
4If using additional leftover vegetables, add them 10 minutes before cooking time is finished, and keep dish covered.