Roast Bell Peppers Stuffed with Pasta and Tomatoes
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 4 medium yellow or red bell peppers
- 2 oz capelli d’angelo or very vine spaghetti, about 1 cup
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 12 ripe cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 tsp. dried hot red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 cup freshly grated pecorino romano cheese
- sea salt and ground black pepper
1Slice tops off bell peppers and reserve. Scrap out and discard all seeds and white pith. Set peppers upright in lightly oiled dish small enough to fit them snugly. If they don’t stand upright, shave a little piece off the bottom but not right through.
2Cook pasta in plenty of boiling salted water til just al dente, about 8 minutes or according to package directions. Drain well and toss with 2 Tbsp. of the olive oil.
3Put tomatoes in a bowl with another 2 tablespoons of oil, the garlic, basil, pine nuts, pepper flakes, if using and pecorino and mix well. Season to taste with salt and pepper
4Add pasta to peppers, filling the by two thirds, then spoon in tomato mixture. Put pepper lids on top and brush liberally all over with remaining olive oil.
5Bake in preheated 425 oven for 25 to 30 minutes or til peppers start to wrinkle and blister. Serve hot or at room temperature.