My Spaghetti Sauce
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 2 large
- cans of tomato puree
- 2 large
- cans of crushed tomatoes
- 1 large
- can diced tomatoes
- 1 can(s)
- tomato paste
- 1-2 c
- sliced mushrooms (or use canned)
- vidalia onion, chopped
- green bell pepper, chopped (sometimes i substitute roasted red peppers)
- 4-5 clove
- garlic, minced (adjust to suit your taste)
- 2 Tbsp
- 2 Tbsp
- 1 Tbsp
- 1/8 c
- parmesan cheese
- 4 Tbsp
- red wine, (or marsala wine)
- 1 lb
- sweet italian sausage, sliced & cooked (optional)
- 24 small
- meatballs, cooked (optional) frozen, or make your own
SEASONINGS - ** SEE DIRECTIONS
CAN OMIT MEATS FOR A VEGETARIAN SAUCE
1This is a double batch of my regular sauce. The single batch always gives me enough sauce for 2 dinners, so I doubled it and will freeze the extra for the other 3 meals.
2Use an 8 qt. (or larger) crock pot. I've used a 6 qt. and without the meat added, it filled it right to the top!
3If adding meat, fry the sausage or meatballs until nice & browned. De-glaze the pan with a little wine to get all those browned bits. If NOT adding the meat, just add a little wine to the sauce. :)
4Add all the ingredients except the meat, and you can make it meatless as well. I make this sometimes with the sausage, other times with the meatballs. I have never used both together... just our preference.
5<b>** For the seasonings</b>,
My husband's grandmother taught him to add the seasonings in this order as a boy. I thought it was cute.
Made me think of snow on the meadow, with the light little fairies dancing arou.... oh! Ahem, okay back to the recipe... ; )
- First you see the grass grow (this is the oregano, basil, parsley);
- then the snow falls on the ground (parmesan cheese);
- then you see some frost on the snow (this is the sugar)
Then, of course, you mix it all in. :)
6Cook on LOW for 8-10 hours. About half way through the cooking time I replace the crock pot lid with a flat slotted pan (like a pizza pan) to allow moisture to escape. The sauce needs to cook down a bit.