Hot and Sweet Spaghetti Sauce
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1 1/2 lb
- ground beef
- large links of italian sausage, i use hot but feel free to use regular or sweet
- 2 large
- green peppers, large dice
- 1 large
- onion, large dice
- 10 clove
- garlic, minced
- 2~8 oz
- package of white mushrooms, sliced
- 28 oz
- can of diced tomatoes with juice
- 6 oz
- can of tomato paste, roasted garlic or plain
- 3~24 oz
- jar or can of spaghetti sauce, your choice
- 1/2 c
- brown sugar
- 1 tsp
- 2 tsp
- ground black pepper
- 1-2 Tbsp
- italian seasoning, i use penzey spice's tuscan sunset blend
- a few shakes of garlic powder
1With the Italian sausage still in the casing, squeeze out some of the sausage so it resembles a ball about half the size of a golf ball. Do this will all the sausage. Brown ground beef and sausage in large skillet until done. Drain off fat in a colander and return to skillet.
2In a large stockpot with lid, heat 2 tbs olive oil over medium heat. Add green pepper, onion and mushrooms. Cook until slightly tender with a little crunch left in the onion and peppers. Add minced garlic and cook for 2 more minutes.
3Add jars of spaghetti sauce, diced tomatoes and tomato paste to cooked vegetables in stockpot. Mix well. Add cooked hamburger and sausage to sauce in stockpot. Mix well.
4Add brown sugar, pepper, salt, Italian seasoning and a few shakes of garlic powder to sauce. Mix well.
5Reduce heat to low and cover pan with lid. Simmer over low heat,stirring occasionally, for at least 30 minutes, but I do mine for a few hours to let the flavors do their thing.
6I use this sauce over spaghetti and for making manicotti and stuffed shells. Enjoy!!