Eggplant Parmesan with Angel Hair pasta
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 2 small
- (or 1 medium) eggplant (rinsed, peeled and cut 1/4 inch thick slices, soaked in warm salt water)
- 1 1/2 c
- seasoned italian bread crumbs w/ few shakes of garlic powder and parsley flakes added to crumbs
- eggs beaten w/ 2 tablespoons milk
- 3 1/2 c
- (approx) "meatless" pasta sauce (jar or homemade)
- 1 pkg
- (8oz) shredded italian cheese or shredded mozzarella cheese with 1/3 cup of grated parmesan and romano cheese
- salt / pepper to taste
- parsley flakes for garnish (optional)
- 1/2 lb
- cooked pasta ( i prefer angel hair or vermicelli )
1Once eggplant slices have been soaked in warm salted water (approx 2tbs salt) for approx 15 minutes. Rinse and drain eggplant and lay slices on paper towel and blot excess water.
Dip each slice into beaten egg mixture, transfer to bread crumbs, coat well , place slices on non stick cookie sheet, parchment paper lined sheet. Bake in 375 degree oven for 12 minutes on each side ... or until slightly browned. Remove from oven, set aside and LOWER oven to 325 degrees.
2Spread evenly approx 2/3 cup of prepared pasta sauce on bottom of baking dish. Place eggplant slices 1 each to cover bottom of sauce lined dish. Place 1 heaping tablespoon of pasta sauce over each eggplant slice spreading sauce over entire slice with back of spoon ( you can add more sauce / your choice) Place 1 heaping tablespoon of shredded chesee over each sauce coated eggplant slice. Repeat this process, (like when making lasagna) layering eggplant slices, sauce and cheese (use all the remaining cheese .. if you like a lot of cheese add extra to final topping). Set aside remaining sauce.
3Bake 30-40 minutes until cheese is melted and a golden brown.
Use remaining sauce to spoon over cooked angel hair / vermicelli pasta (or pasta of your choice)
4Suggestion: Serve with garlic bread and Italian style green beans (sold in frozen bags )and side salad.