Ume Misoyaki Butterfish
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- chilean sea bass (butterfish)
- 4 t. mayonnaise (your choice
- 2 t. aka (red) miso
- 1 tsp. soaked hijiki seaweed
- 2 large ume (japanese plum)
- 1 tsp. grated ginger
- 2 t. honey
- 2 tsp. shoyu (soy sauce)
- 2 t. sugar
- 1 t. shaoxing cooking wine
1. Cut into smaller chunks preventing it from breaking apart when frying and turning it over. It also provides more surface area to get a great fried texture and taste.
2. Salt pieces and let it sit for 30-60 minutes. This will remove any fishy taste.
3. Rinse completely and squeeze fish to release the water.
4. Dry with paper towel
1. Remove seed.
3. Mash it up.
1. Grate 1 tsp. of fresh ginger.
1. Fry the skin of the fish for a crispier texture and flavorful taste.
2. Sprinkle salt and pepper.
3. Fry entirety of fish for 8-10 minutes until golden brown on the edges.
4. Place in a broiler pan (cover with foil)
1. Now for the 'bam' action. Brush on the sauce to all pieces of the fish on one side only.
2. Broil in oven. Need to keep an eye on it.
3. Let sauce bubble up over the fish but don't let it burn.
4. Flip over and brush more sauce on the other side.
5. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
6. Let it bubble up and it should be done.