Poached Cod with Tomato & Saffron
- 2 t. olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced (i used 4)
- 1/2 t. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 c dry white wine (i used fish stock)
- 14.5 oz can whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- pinch of saffron threads
- salt, pepper, to taste
- 4 5-ounce skinless cod fillets
Add tomatoes, crushing with your hands as you add them, wine, bay leaves, saffron, and 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until flavors meld, 5–7 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
Reduce heat to medium-low; season cod with salt and pepper and place in skillet. Cover and cook at a bare simmer until cod is opaque throughout and beginning to flake, 5–7 minutes (thicker pieces will take longer to cook).
Gently transfer cod to shallow bowls and spoon poaching liquid over.