New England Clambake in a Kettle
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1/2 lb
- firm white fish (cod, halibut)
- yukon golden or red potatoes, scrubbed & halved
- 1 small
- onion, peeled
- breakfast pork sausages
- pieces portuguese sausage (liguica or chourico), cut into large chunks
- ear corn with silk removed
- mussels or clams, scrubbed & debearded
- 1-2 lb
- live lobster, crab or
- 8 medium
- uncooked shrimp, cleaned & deveined
1The above ingredients are the average you should add for each person.
2Put fish, potato, onion, and pork sausage on a square of cheesecloth, fold up to make a pouch and tie with kitchen string.
3Put 1 to 1 1/2 inches of water into a large pot. Add steamers, littlenecks and/or mussels, hot dog and chourico. Leave husks on corn. Place corn on top of steamers. Place pouches of potatoes and fish on top of corn. Top with lobster. Cover.
4Place on high heat until steaming, then lower heat and cook until the lobster is red. Time varies with the amount of ingredients. A bake for six takes about an hour.
5TIP: Usually a potato placed on top of the whole boil helps to determine when the boil is done. If the potato is tender to fork touch, the rest of the food is cooked.