Bacalao Salado (Salt Cod Salad)
A favorite accompaniment eaten alongside Pasteles or Puerto Rican main dishes. This dish makes a great salad to eat during the summer.
- 1/2 lb
- bacalao (dried salted cod), soaked, deboned and flaked or shredded
- 1 small
- won bok (chinese) cabbage, washed, drained and sliced to your liking
- 1 large
- manoa, romaine or iceberg lettuce, washed, drained and torn into bite size pieces
- 1 small
- bunch of watercress, chopped into bite size pieces. (optional)
- red or round onion (spanish works well too!), sliced thinly
- japanese cucumber, sliced thinly
- roma tomatoes, sliced thinly
- 1 - 2 clove
- garlic, minced
- juice of 2 limes, 1 lemon or cider vinegar (i use a mixture of 1 lemon plus some rice wine vinegar for a little sweetness), adjust to your liking
- olive oil, enough to make a vinaigrette which is usually a 3 (oil) to 1 (acid) ratio. i use 3/4 cup olive oil and approximately 6 tbs. lemon/lime juice or cider vinegar
- aloha or your favorite shoyu (soy sauce)
- black pepper, freshly cracked or ground.
Soak and drain for an hour until you've reached the desired level of saltiness.
Place pressed fish in large bowl and debone if needed. Flake or shred with a fork. Set aside.
Taste and adjust accordingly. Serve and enjoy!