Mertzie's Simple Salad Chicken Caprese Style
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- large chicken breasts, marinated in italian dressing overnight
- large handful & more of fresh basil (i load it!)
- handful of fresh italian parsley
- 15 grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 block mozzarella, sliced in large chunks or slices
- 1/2 red onion and 1/2 green pepper
- garlic' crushed
- salt & pepper to taste
- freshly grated parmesan for on top
- mix of 1/2 balsamic vinegar & 1/2 red wine vinegar (1/8 cup of each)
- canola or olive oil
- italian seasoning (about 1/2 tsp)
- fresh thyme, crushed (about 1 tsp)
- garlic, crushed (about 1/2 tsp or to your taste)
- croutons or bread crumbs (optional -- see note at bottom)
1Marinate chicken breasts overnight, as stated. I used roasted red pepper Italian dressing. Grill chicken, red onions, and pepper until done. I sprinkled the chicken with smoked sea salt after it grilled.
2Allow to cool off for a bit. Meanwhile, slice up your grapes and mozz. Rough chop the basil and parsley.
3Slice chicken in large bite-sized chunks. Add the tomatoes, onions and green pepper. Pour a little of the dressing on top and stir gently. If you want more garlic flavor, add more crushed garlic. Add the basil & parsley. I added the mozz right as I was ready to serve and toppped with fresh parmesan. I also had some Bagel Chips in my cupboard, so I crushed those up good and sprinkled on top for some crunch. Usually I make homemade croutons, but was lazy and this worked great.
4I served the rest of the dressing with the salad to pour over on each individual plate. My son doesn't like a lot of dressing and I do, so this way it keeps everyone happy. Enjoy!