Savory Chicken And Dumplings # 2 - Cassies
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 2 - 3 pound, whole chickens
- 1 stick
- a bunch of celery, chopped
- 1 c
- chopped carrots
- 2 large
- onions, chopped
- 4 - 5
- bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp
- thyme, dried
- 1 1/2 tsp
- dried sage
- 2 tsp
- 4 Tbsp
- ( chicken flavored ) better than bouillon paste
- salt to taste ( i wait till the end to add salt, as the buillon has a lot of salt
- to cover the chicken by at least 2 inches ( you may need to add more water as the chicken cooks - i keep tasting the broth making sure it doesn't get watered down, adjust seasonings accordingly
- 4 c
- 1 tsp
- baking powder
- 2 pinch
- 4 Tbsp
- 1 3/4 - 2 c
PREP TIME INCLUDES POACHING CHICKEN
Add the thyme, sage, bay leaves and vegetables, butter and bring to a full boil. Reduce heat to medium high, and simmer till chicken is cooked; about 1 hour 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, add more water to the broth if needed to maintain 6 quarts worth of liquid. Now; add the bouillon paste, stirring to dissolve.Taste and add more seasonings if needed.
Keep broth hot on low and begin to make your dumplings.
I used my food processor. If using a processor, add the flour, baking powder, salt...pulse a few times. now add the butter; pulse 5 - 6 times, then add the milk...pulse till forms a ball.
In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Cut the butter into the dry ingredients with a fork or pastry blender. Stir in the milk, mixing with a fork until the dough forms a ball.
Dip your cutter in flour and cut the dumplings in squares about 2 x 2 . It’s okay for them not to be exact. Some will be bigger, some smaller...
The extra flour on them will help thicken the broth.
Cook them for about 15-20 minutes or until they are not doughy tasting.
Chop or I used my fingers to pull the chicken apart, into bite sizes chunks, or whatever you prefer.