Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole
I have been making casseroles for most of my life, but this one HAS to be the most-requested! My husband, daughters and granddaughters beg for it almost weekly. I have taken it to sick friends and to gatherings and have served it to guests for dinner and I always gets raves and requests for the recipe. This chicken casserole is unique and elegant, but so simple to make. It is truly top-notch in terms of taste, texture and satiety.
- 1 pkg
- (6.2 oz.) rice-a-roni, fried rice flavor
- 1 Tbsp
- olive oil
- 4 c
- shredded cooked chicken (that is approximately 4 small or 2 large boneless half breasts or about 1 lb.)
- 1 c
- sour cream
- 1 can(s)
- (10.75 oz.) campbell's healthy request cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 small
- jar diced pimientos, well-drained
- 1/3 c
- half & half or evaporated milk
- mrs. dash, or similar, unsalted seasoning (use liberally)
- morton's nature seasoning salt
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- ritz crackers (1 sleeve), finely crushed
- 6 Tbsp
- unsalted butter, melted
- 3 Tbsp
- poppy seeds
- non-stick cooking spray
2Prepare Rice-A-Roni according to package directions, except use 1 Tbsp. olive oil for browning rice mixture.
3Spray bottom and sides of a 13" x 9" x 2" glass or ceramic baking dish with non-stick spray. Spread prepared Rice-A-Roni evenly on bottom of dish.
4Combine shredded chicken, sour cream, chicken soup, pimientos, evaporated milk, Mrs. Dash, salt and pepper in a medium-size bowl. Stir well to blend all ingredients. Spoon chicken mixture evenly over top of Rice-A-Roni in baking dish.
5In a small bowl, combine crushed Ritz crackers and melted butter; add poppy seeds. Mix well with a fork. Sprinkle evenly on top of casserole.